Tuesday, March 17, 2015

ATTENTION: BLOG DISCLAIMER! by Shira Strassman

While I hesitated at first to start a Breakthrough Blog, (---contrary to what one might think, self-disclosure about my dating life ain’t really my thing---) I realized that blogging in this context could be a huge opportunity for ideas, thoughts and feelings about dating that were previously swept under the rug, to finally emerge in a public forum.  


I most certainly DO NOT profess to be the voice of [observant Jewish] singles everywhere---nor do I claim to know what others are thinking when they read my ramblings, or how much my stream of consciousness resonates with them personally. I simply hope that my attempt to start a difficult conversation will open up the floor to others who feel inspired to share their own struggles and experiences...that we can discuss them respectfully, learn from each other, begin to understand one another more deeply, and ultimately, become better at this whole dating thing, together.  


On that note, my goal is not for readers to ‘smile and nod’ at my entries (c’mon, that’s waaayyy too boring), but that they will actually help me to build a platform for this kind of dialogue, which has essentially remained a series of (rather unproductive) whispers amongst frustrated friends … until now.


So...want to contribute to the blog!?!  Your entry can be serious, humorous, or a combination of both. There's no specific criteria for what to write---and it can be as personal as you want it to be (pen names are welcome :-). The only general guidelines are as follows:


  • It should reflect the main purpose of the blog, which is to: a) create a public forum that allows for singles to engage with each other on various discussion points, based on our personal and shared struggles in dating, b) enable individual, creative expression in the form of writing, c) to make our experiences known to each other (including members of the opposite gender) in order to inform, enlighten, and grow from them.
  • It must be appropriate (maintain a generally respectful tone, no foul language - thanks :-)
  • It should: incorporate a lesson learned, raise awareness about an important idea, or reflect some aspect of relationship-building that you think other singles can relate to. The entry could even end with a question for readers to think about or respond to.

Want to submit an entry? We can’t wait to read it! Contact us! And enjoy the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment